Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Hemming Twice to Show the Strength, by Hannah Craig

2017 Crab Creek Review Poetry Prize winning poem, Hemming Twice to Show the Strength, by Hannah Craig. Selected by Diane Seuss.















Hannah Craig is the author of This History That Just Happened (Parlor Press,
2017) which was the winner of the New Measure Poetry Prize. Her work has
appeared in Fence, Mississippi Review, the North American Review, Prairie Schooner,
Smartish Pace and other publications. She lives in Pittsburgh, PA.

About the poem:
My sisters and I used to play this kind of game when we were young. My grandmother,
who was a seamstress, gave us these huge bridal pattern books and we’d just page
through them, picking our doppelgangers. I guess I always thought it was pretty awful,
as an adult and a feminist, looking back. But when I actually unpacked it a bit, I
ended up seeing things as a little more complex.

No comments: