Friday, January 20, 2017

The Moon, by Kelly Michels



Kelly Michels received her MFA from North Carolina State University. She is the author of two chapbooks, the most recent entitled Disquiet, published by Jacar Press. Her work has appeared in Best New Poets, Green Mountains Review, Nimrod, Connotation Press, One, Redivider, Reed Magazine, and Barely South Review, among others.

Poet on the Poem:
I wrote this poem for Betty Adcock and Claudia Emerson, whose poetic friendship was deep and enduring. The poem was inspired by a moment in which I stopped to look at the moon after spending an evening discussing one of Claudia’s poems at Betty’s house. Soon after, Claudia passed away, and I sent Betty the poem, knowing I had very little to offer in the face of such grief. It was the only thing I could do after the loss of such a brilliant voice.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Kelly Michels's poem, "The Moon" is stunning, clever, evocative and unique!
I wished I'd written it. Thank you Kelly!

Crab Creek Review said...

Thanks for reading, Michele! We feel the same way about Kelly Michels' poem! - Jenifer